15. (1) Every limited liability partnership shall have either the words “limited liability partnership” or the acronym “LLP” as the last words of its name.
(2) No limited liability partnership shall be registered by a name which, in the opinion of the Central Government is—
(a) undesirable; or
(b) identical or too nearly resembles to that of any other partnership firm or limited liability partnership or body corporate or a registered trade mark, or a trade mark which is subject of an application for registration, of any other person under the Trade Marks Act, 1999 (47 of 1999).
Reservation of name.
16. (1) A person may apply in such form and manner and accompanied by such fee as may be prescribed to the Registrar for the reservation of a name set out in the application as—
(a) the name of a proposed limited liability partnership; or
(b) the name to which a limited liability partnership proposes to change its name.
(2) Upon receipt of an application under sub-section (1) and on payment of the prescribed fee, the Registrar may, if he is satisfied, subject to the rules prescribed by the Central Government in the matter, that the name to be reserved is not one which may be rejected on any ground referred to in sub-section (2) of section 15, reserve the name for a period of three months from the date of intimation by the Registrar.
Change of name of limited liability partnership.
17. (1) Notwithstanding anything contained in sections 15 and 16, where the Central Government is satisfied that a limited liability partnership has been registered (whether through inadvertence or otherwise and whether originally or by a change of name) under a name which—
(a) is a name referred to in sub-section (2) of section 15; or
(b) is identical with or too nearly resembles the name of any other limited liability partnership or body corporate or other name as to be likely to be mistaken for it, the Central Government may direct such limited liability partnership to change its name, and the limited liability partnership shall comply with the said direction within three months after the date of the direction or such longer period as the Central Government may allow.
(2) Any limited liability partnership which fails to comply with a direction given under sub-section (1) shall be punishable with fine which shall not be less than ten thousand rupees but which may extend to five lakh rupees and the designated partner of such limited liability partnership shall be punishable with fine which shall not be less than ten thousand rupees but which may extend to one lakh rupees.
Application for direction to change name in certain circumstances.
18. (1) Any entity which already has a name similar to the name of a limited liability partnership which has been incorporated subsequently, may apply, in such manner as may be prescribed, to the Registrar to give a direction to any limited liability partnership, on a ground referred to in section 17 to change its name.
(2) The Registrar shall not consider any application under sub-section (1) to give a direction to a limited liability partnership on the ground referred to in clause (b) of sub-section (1) of section 17 unless the Registrar receives the application within twenty-four months from the date of registration of the limited liability partnership under that name.
Change of registered name.
19. Any limited liability partnership may change its name registered with the Registrar by filing with him a notice of such change in such form and manner and on payment of such fees as may be prescribed.
Penalty for improper use of words “limited liability partnership” or “LLP”.
20. If any person or persons carry on business under any name or title of which the words “Limited Liability Partnership” or “LLP” or any contraction or imitation thereof is or are the last word or words, that person or each of those persons shall, unless duly incorporated as limited liability partnership, be punishable with fine which shall not be less than fifty thousand rupees but which may extend to five lakh rupees.
Publication of name and limited liability.
21. (1) Every limited liability partnership shall ensure that its invoices, official correspondence and publications bear the following, namely :—
(a) the name, address of its registered office and registration number of the limited liability partnership; and
(b) a statement that it is registered with limited liability.
(2) Any limited liability partnership which contravenes the provisions of sub-section (1) shall be punishable with fine which shall not be less than two thousand rupees but which may extend to twenty-five thousand rupees.